Aura Call Assistant Privacy Notice
Information Collected by Us
In addition to the personal information collected as part of your Aura account registration and mobile application use, the following personal information is collected by Aura in order to provide our call assistant services.
- Telephone Number. We require your phone number for the technical provision of our Services to you.
- Transcripts and Recordings of Voicemail. If you enable our call assistant services, we may create and store transcripts of voicemails in order to provide you with our services and to improve our ability to identify unsolicited commercial calls or scam offers (aka ‘spam’).
- Voicemail Recordings. We store the voicemail recordings, transcripts of voicemails, and associated caller’s phone number.
- Phone Contacts. If you activate our call assistant services, we may access the phone numbers in your phone’s contact list to ensure that those numbers are not blocked. We do not capture the names or other contact information associated with the number, and store the information as a cryptographic hash rather than as a plain text number. This information is exclusively used to provide our Services, and is not shared with third parties.
- Unknown Caller Numbers and Associated Caller-ID Information. We collect the calling phone number and associated caller-ID text information associated with unknown (ie; those not in your phone contact list) callers into your device.
- SMS Text Messages. We filter out all messages from unknown senders that are not in your phone contact list. For all other messages from initiators that are not in your contact list, we de-identify, disassociate, and collect the initiating phone numbers or caller-ID information from SMS text messages. These captured SMS texts are not connected to your personal information when we collect and store them. We do not capture images or videos sent in SMS or MMS messages.
How We Use Collected Information
- These texts are used to help us identify spam and new spam tactics.
- We may use phone numbers that we identified as spam in order to and improve the services we provide to you and other users by allowing us to better identify spam and new spam tactics.
- We may create text transcripts of the unknown caller’s voice mails or text responses to the virtual call assistant in addition to making the voicemails available to you. We may use transcripts of said responses and voicemails that are identified as spam or unverified (i.e. those calls that could not be verified because the unknown caller did not give the virtual call assistant sufficient information to determine the intent of the call) to help us improve the services we provide to you and other users by allowing us to better identify and publicly expose spam and new spam tactics
- We may combine information you provide us, such as your identification of calls and/or SMS as spam or not spam, with other information we receive from third parties to improve the services we provide to you and other users by allowing us to better identify and publicly expose spam and new spam tactics
Aura shares the following information with third parties as part of our continuous improvement process of our call assistant product and to ensure it continues to provide industry leading protection in light of ever evolving threats.
- Caller Numbers. We may provide numbers dialing into your device or messaging you via SMS or MMS text messages to a third party provider to help us provide spam number filtering services to you.
- Call and Voicemail Transcripts. We may provide transcripts between the unknown caller and the virtual call assistant and voicemail transcripts to a third party provider to help us provide transcription services to you.
- Telecom Service Providers. Our telecom service providers allow us to make our services available to you. We may share and/or store phone numbers, SMS, voicemail, transcripts between the unknown caller and the virtual call assistant, and voicemail transcriptions with our telecom service providers as necessary to provide our Services to you.
- Other technology providers necessary to provide our services. This includes cloud storage and web hosting providers. We store user-provided and automated information and/or aggregate or non-personally identifiable information with our cloud storage providers. We also may make certain automated information available for various purposes such as monitoring network traffic to detect malicious actors and to protect against malware, fraud, or other unlawful uses or activity.
- Where Legally Required. We do not share these recordings or transcripts with third parties unless required to comply with our legal obligations; to comply with legal process; and to respond to valid law enforcement requests relating to a criminal investigation, or alleged or suspected illegal activity that may expose Aura, you, or any of our other users to legal liability. If we share your information for these purposes, we limit the information shared to what is legally necessary, and challenge information requests that we believe are unlawful, overbroad, or otherwise invalid.