What Triggers an ‘email found on the Dark Web alert’ (child)
- Your email may have been compromised due to a data breach
- Some businesses sell your information to data brokers for marketing and advertisements. It may have landed in the wrong hands and sold on the Dark Web
What Can I do?
Although data found on the Dark Web cannot be removed, these tips can help you be proactive.
- Immediately change the password for this email address, ensuring that it is unique and one that is not used for any other online account(s).
- Immediately change the password for any other online account(s) where the same email address and password were used as login credentials.
- Use unique passwords for all online accounts, which will limit the exposure if any are compromised.
- Closely monitor the email address for any suspect activity, such as emails being sent without your knowledge.
- Be aware of possible spam or phishing emails appearing to be sent from companies associated with a data breach.
- If you do not believe the email address is secure, deactivation may be necessary